Monday, February 25, 2013

Abandoned 40 Years Ago, Seeking Birth Family

My name is Angie, and I've started this blog to help my husband find his birth family. We've exhausted all other options, as far as we can tell, so we're taking our search to the internet.

Here's what we know. 


This is my husband at about 2 years old.
My husband was born on or about June 6, 1972. Within 12 hours of his birth, he was found by a passerby in a telephone booth at 7-Eleven at 4039 Metropolitan Ave. in Kansas City, KS around 9 a.m. on June 7, 1972.

According to an article we found about his situation, he was supposed to be taken to a foster home until authorities could either locate his mother or birth family or until he could be adopted.

He was adopted by his adoptive parents by June 20, 1972.

His adoptive father passed away when my husband was 12, and his adoptive mother continued to raise him. He has always been loved, cared for and generally treated very well by his family and in fact has no desire to replace them--we just want to learn about his birth family.

We did obtain his original birth certificate from the state of Kansas, and his name was listed as "Stephen Michael Doe." We assume the name was given to him by someone who found him, the nurses at the hospital or maybe the foster family.

His mother tells us she and her husband went to a home in Kansas City where a friend of theirs who was also a judge showed up with the baby. Sometime later, the three went to the courthouse and met with a social worker, who produced a semi-detailed report about the visit (we have a copy, and I will upload it as soon as I can).

The Atkinsons, my husband's adoptive parents, left the courthouse that day with him and the adoption approved. It was finalized sometime later. 

The Search


Since the first time my husband told me about his story, I've been very curious about his birth family. But once I gave birth to his children, my curiosity changed into an intense need to learn about his biological family.

My husband has never tried to search on his own, but when I told him about my search and showed him what I'd found so far, he was excited and has been supportive of my efforts.

We hope to find someone who is biologically related to him (or who might have any information about him and his biological family) to offer insight into his genealogy and, if all parties are comfortable, maybe to form a friendship or to at least open the lines of communication.

Do You Have Information Concerning a Baby Born and Abandoned in June 1972?


If you know anything about this situation, please don't hesitate to contact us at findmybirthfamily1972@gmail.com. We will respect your privacy, and we promise not to cause you any harm, trouble or money. All we seek is knowledge and understanding, and we hope for you to have the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment